Fast travel is a concept where you have several locations in a map (Usually this map is called an overworld map) and by selecting one of those locations, you’re transported to their respective location.
I need fast travel script in my recent project, so I do some search for them. Most of them were good enough. However, there’s a problem. My map is big enough that they won’t fit on the screen. Resizing the map could solve the problem but make several locations that are very close to each other looks like just one location on the resized map. And that’s the background story of this script.
How to set this script up:
1. Put the script on your game.
2. Put the map graphic inside Graphics/System folder. Make sure you named the graphics “Map_Select”.
3. Put the location selection window graphic inside Graphics/System folder. Make sure you named the graphic “Window_Map”.
4. Put an empty graphic named “Empty”. This graphic is needed to run the script, mostly as a placeholder.
5. Put the locations on the script.
6. Customize where each location will transfer the player when they’re selected.
7. Customize a lot of other variables found within the script.
8. Call the map using this script call:
This is how the script would look like in action:
The world map is taken from here.
Here’s the script: Fast Travel Script
1. This script can be used for commercial or non-commercial games, only if you credit me (Black Mage) properly.
2. Put a link back to my site (burningwizard.worpress.com).
3. Tell me about the game you made. I’ll be happy to play and review your game, assumed I have some times to spare
Just in case you’re still wondering, the script is licensed under Attribution 3.0 Unported.
Version 1.1 (13 May 2017)
– Bugfix for select location window position.
– Add dispose method to the script to prevent memory leaks.
– Add customized BGM & SFX for the map.
– Add customized location color feature.
– Add location name window.
– Add location description window.
– Add location thumbnail feature.
– Add available quest window for location.
– Add current party window feature.
– Add animated location icon feature.
Version 1.0 (3 May 2017)
– Initial Design.